DEF FAST FACTS
Injection of DEF to reduce NOx is a proven technology used throughout the auto industry. Unlike other manufacturers’ solutions, the DEF system allows the diesel engine to run at its optimum range in terms of fuel mixture – some systems require the engine to run richer, which can be harmful to diesel engines, to control the NOx.
- DEF is a solution of approximately one-third high-purity urea and two-thirds demineralized water that is clear, nontoxic and safe to handle.
- DEF tank, supply module and supply line are heated to help ensure DEF remains in a liquid state, preventing it from freezing while in operation or thawing from a frozen state.
- DEF is injected into the exhaust system, to greatly reduce NOx levels.
- The DEF tank includes temperature and fluid level sensors, and when the level reaches an approximate 800 mile distance-to-empty level, an instrument cluster warning alerts the driver.
- On Pickups, the DEF tank and fill nozzle are located together with the diesel fuel tank and fill nozzle on the driver’s side of the vehicle and require refilling at oil-change intervals.
Watch this short tutorial on how to properly fill your DEF tank and when to fill it according to the message center in the instrument cluster:
DEF is available at Fuller Ford in 1 gallon bottles or in bulk. Call our parts department at (513) 352-5870 or (888) 893-7505 or contact us at http://www.fullerisford.com/order-parts.aspx for more information.
As always, Fuller Ford offers Lifetime Free Oil Changes on ALL new vehicle purchases – in stock or factory ordered. This includes the entire Super Duty line-up! Fuller Ford is the Cincinnati Tri-State Region’s truck leader. Whether you are coming from Ohio, Kentucky, or Indiana, we are conveniently located right off of I-75, just west of downtown Cincinnati. Fuller Ford can help you with all your Super Duty questions and needs! Check out our entire inventory at www.fullerisford.com.