The improved combustion system is the heart of the all new 6.7L Power Stroke V8 turbo diesel engine, helping deliver a balance of power, fuel efficiency and reduced nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions. A combination of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and aftertreatment system work together to help make the all new 6.7L Power Stroke the cleanest Ford Power Stroke diesel engine ever. The three step aftertreatment system includes a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC), new-for-2011 Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) using Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) and Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).
CLEANEST POWER STROKE DIESEL ENGINE EVER
Step 1: Cleaning and Heating
The Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC)
- The first step in the exhaust aftertreatment process and could be referred to as the cleaning and heating step
- Converts and oxidizes hydrocarbons into water and carbon dioxide
- Provides and promotes heat into the exhaust system to help increase the conversion efficiency
Step 2: Removing the NOx
Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)
- A new-for-2011 technology on Super Duty
- The second step in the exhaust aftertreatment process where most of the NOx is removed from the exhaust stream
- Located between the DOC and the DPF in the exhaust system
- Uses a liquid chemical reactant, Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)
- DEF Dosing Module sprays a fine mist of DEF into the exhaust stream to react with the NOx in the exhaust as it passes through the SCR (when heated, DEF splits into ammonia and carbon dioxide)
- These molecules are atomized and vaporized and evenly distributed into the exhaust flow
- Once the DEF solution is combined with the exhaust flow, chemical reactions convert the ammonia and NOx into water and harmless nitrogen
Step 3: Removing the Soot
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
- The last step in the exhaust aftertreatment process and designed to scrub any remaining soot from the exhaust
- Soot can be described as the black smoke seen in diesel exhaust
- Located in the exhaust system, after the SCR
- Periodically cleans itself through a process known as “regeneration”, which is similar to a small incinerator burning off trapped particulates
- Passive regeneration naturally burns off soot when exhaust temperatures are high enough
- Active regeneration (forced burn-off) occurs as needed, depending on operational use
DEF FAST FACTS
Injection of DEF to reduce NOx is a proven technology used throughout the auto industry. Unlike other manufacturers’ solutions, the DEF system allows the diesel engine to run at its optimum range in terms of fuel mixture – some systems require the engine to run richer, which can be harmful to diesel engines, to control the NOx.
- DEF is a solution of approximately one-third high-purity urea and two-thirds demineralized water that is clear, nontoxic and safe to handle.
- DEF tank, supply module and supply line are heated to help ensure DEF remains in a liquid state, preventing it from freezing while in operation or thawing from a frozen state.
- DEF is injected into the exhaust system, to greatly reduce NOx levels.
- The DEF tank includes temperature and fluid level sensors, and when the level reaches an approximate 800 mile distance-to-empty level, an instrument cluster warning alerts the driver.
- On Pickups, the DEF tank and fill nozzle are located together with the diesel fuel tank and fill nozzle on the driver’s side of the vehicle and require refilling at oil-change intervals.
POWER STROKE EMISSIONS STRAGEGY
- Allows the engine to operate with a leaner fuel mixture than previous Power Stroke engines
- A leaner fuel mixture has less fuel and more air
- Leaner-burning engines help produce less particulate emissions
- Less particulate emissions result in less-frequent DPF regeneration
- Less-frequent regeneration helps improve overall engine fuel efficiency
DEF is available at Fuller Ford in 1 gallon bottles or in bulk. Call our parts department at (513) 352-5870 or (888) 893-7505 or contact us at http://www.fullerisford.com/order-parts.aspx for more information.
As always, Fuller Ford offers Lifetime Free Oil Changes on ALL new vehicle purchases – in stock or factory ordered. This includes the entire Super Duty line-up! Fuller Ford is the Cincinnati Tri-State Region’s truck leader. Whether you are coming from Ohio, Kentucky, or Indiana, we are conveniently located right off of I-75, just west of downtown Cincinnati. Fuller Ford can help you with all your Super Duty questions and needs! Check out our entire inventory at www.fullerisford.com.