The all new 2011 Fiesta is big on safety, offering a host of accident avoidance and occupant protection features to help keep drivers and passengers safe. Here’s a quick overview of some key Fiesta safety and security features.
SEVEN STANDARD AIRBAGS
Fiesta comes with seven standard airbags, including:
- Driver knee – Located under the instrument panel, the class-exclusive driver knee airbag works along with the driver’s front airbag to help reduce injury to legs. When the driver’s airbag deploys in a collision, the knee airbag deploys from under the instrument panel
- Front, dual-stage – Deploy high or low output, or not at all, depending on the severity of the frontal crash to make sure the appropriate level of airbag pressure is used
- Front-seat side – Side-impact airbags help protect front-seat occupants in certain side collisions. The airbags deploy from the sides of the front seatbacks to help protect occupants’ chest.
- Side curtain – Combined with the front-seat side airbags, the side curtain airbags help provide protection for both head and chest in certain side-impact collisions for all outboard seating positions. These airbags are designed to slide between the glass and the occupant as it inflates
More than 50 percent of the Fiesta body structure is made from ultra-high-strength, lightweight boron steel, which helps protect occupant safety zones
SECURILOCK PASSIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM
This system enhances Fiesta security by using an electronically coded ignition key (with billions of possible codes) designed to help prevent the engine from being started unless a coded key programmed to the vehicle is used.
PERSONAL SAFETY SYSTEM
The Ford Personal Safety System tailors airbag usage to the severity of the crash, driver and passenger safety belt use, driver’s seat position and passenger classification. System components include:
- Dual-state driver and front passenger airbags
- Electronic front crash severity sensor
- Driver’s-seat position sensor
- Front outboard safety belt usage sensor
- Restraint Control Module
- Front outboard safety belt energy management retractors
- Front outboard safety belt pretensioners
- “Smart” Front Passenger Sensing System
TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM (TPMS)
- This accident-avoidance feature is a sensor-based system that alerts the driver to significant under inflation in any of the tires, excluding the spare
- Pressure sensors in the tires detect actual tire pressure and activate a warning light in the vehicle’s instrument cluster when a tire is significantly underinflated
SOS POST CRASH ALERT SYSTEM
This system helps give Fiesta drivers added peace of mind by automatically:
- Activating the hazard flashers and sounding the horn after a crash in which the airbags deploy. This can help make the vehicle easier to locate if the accident happens off the roadway
ADVANCETRAC ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL
AdvanceTrac helps the driver maintain vehicle stability in adverse driving situations or when making evasive maneuvers on slippery pavement.
- Monitors vehicle’s cornering behavior with steering angle, lateral acceleration and yaw rate sensors, and automatically makes braking and throttle adjustments to match vehicle’s direction to the driver’s intention using Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Traction Control components
- AdvanceTrac automatically activates whenever the vehicle is started, but may be turned off for certain situations such as when “rocking” a vehicle stuck in mud or snow
Included with AdvanceTrac, Fiesta also comes standard with Traction Control, which uses a combination of brake and/or engine control to maximize available traction on slippery or loose driving surfaces at any speed.
This safety feature is part of SYNC and assists occupants in placing a 911 call in certain vehicle crashes by using a properly paired mobile phone inside the vehicle.
- SYNC can use a properly paired mobile phone to place the 911 call
- Occupants can cancel the call by pressing and holding the phone button on the steering wheel, or by confirming the cancellation message on the Navigation System screen
- Connects to a 911 operator informing them of the accident
- Opens the SYNC microphone to allow vehicle occupants to communicate hands-free with the 911 operator
Fuller Ford looks forward to the arrival of the all new 2011 Ford Fiesta this summer. As always, Fuller Ford offers Lifetime Free Oil Changes on ALL new vehicle purchases – in stock or factory ordered. This includes the Ford Fiesta! Fuller Ford is the Cincinnati Tri-State Region’s leader for the hottest, cutting-edge, most fuel efficient vehicles available. Whether you are coming from Ohio, Kentucky, or Indiana, we are conveniently located right off of I-75, just west of downtown Cincinnati. Fuller can customize your Fiesta to your style. Order your Fiesta today at http://www.fullerisford.com/2011-fiesta.aspx.