Maintenance and Genuine Ford Motorcraft Filters is the key to sustainability of your Ford Power Stroke 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 liter diesels.
If you want to prevent problems with your Ford Power Stroke Diesel engines it is essential to follow the recommended oil and filter, fuel filter, and coolant maintenance guidelines. The 7.3L and 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel engines use high press oil to actuate its advanced injectors, often reaching flow rates of 18 ½ Gallons per minute. The 6.4L uses high pressure fuel to actuate its injectors. Cleanliness, level, and proper flow of both fuel and oil are vital to the success of the Power Stroke Engine.
(click thumbnail to see enlarged version)
New API CJ-4 engine oil is required for Power Stroke 6.4L engine to meet federal emission standards. Vehicles equipped with the Power Stroke 6.0L can benefit from this same high performance oil as well. Operation of the Ford 6.4 and Ford 6.7 liter Power Stroke Scorpion diesel requires Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR COOLANT
The coolant concentration should be maintained at 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. The level of coolant should be maintained at the “COLD FILL” range in the coolant reservoir. If you suspect any coolant system leaks or lack of cooling, pressure test the cooling system. Refer to your Owner Guide for additional information.
Engine coolant system nitrite strength should be checked and serviced at the mileage or equivalent hour intervals specified by the maintenance schedule. Check coolant nitrite strength using the 3-Way Antifreeze Test Strip kit. Rotunda # 328-00001 to determine if additive is required. If the nitrite strength is between 800 ppm & 300 ppm add 32 fl. oz. (946 mL) of Supplemental Coolant Additive Motorcraft VC-8 or equivalent. If nitrite strength is below 300 ppm flush & refill engine coolant (refer to Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant Change Record) – Do not add Supplemental Coolant Additive if flush & refill is required.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
Diesel fuel quality is critical for reliable engine operation. Motorcraft® Cetane Booster & Performance Improver, PM-22-A (U.S.) / PM-22-B (Canada) can be added to improve fuel economy, starting ability, and reduce engine wear. The water separator should be drained monthly (at least) or when the “Water in Fuel Lamp” illuminates. Biodiesel fuel must not exceed 5% (B5). To avoid cold weather fuel gelling, add 6 oz. of Motorcraft® Anti-Gel & Performance Improver PM-23-A (U.S.) / PM-23-B (Canada) to every new tank of fuel.
ALWAYS USE GENUINE FORD MOTORCRAFT FILTERS!!
All Ford Motor Craft Filters are specifically designed and rigorously tested to insure the utmost performance for your Ford Power Stroke 6.0, 6.4, 6.7 liter diesel engines. Aftermarket Filters can cause damage and potential catastrophic failure to your Power Stroke engine.
6.0 AND 6.4 LITER OIL FILTERS
The Motorcraft end cap is engineered to fit properly in oil filter cap to allow oil flow to bypass valve for engine protection. The competitor shown here, however, has a design that restricts oil flow to the bypass valve, which could potentially result in engine damage. Secondly, the Motorcraft has a precision fit and proper spacing between the oil filter cap and the top end of the element. The competition’s loose fit could allow its element to lift during operation and allow the drain valve to open, bypassing oil from the engine and potentially causing premature wear and/or engine damage.
Motorcraft Super Duty Oil Filters:
- Engineered to fit properly
- Filters particles as small as 20 microns (human hair is 74 microns)
- Engages the oil drain valve to insure all oil enters the filtration bath
- Also engages the by-pass valve on the oil filter stand pipe to prevent engine oil starvation
The Competitors Oil Filters:
- Decrease oil life
- Extend cranking time
- Create trouble when diagnosing no-start concerns
- Lead to premature engine wear and Injector failure
- Can cause excessive and unnecessary repair costs and potential total engine failure
- Sold with permanent caps that have to be re-purchased if returning to the correct OEM filter
- Shorter depth of filter does not allow for engagement of by-pass or drain valves
- Often cheaper filters deteriorate and spread debris throughout engine
- Pleats not evenly spaced and adhesive binding weak – less effected filtration
6.0 AND 6.4 LITER FUEL FILTERS
The Motorcraft 6.0L fuel filter has a special water separator that is not found on the competitor filter. The absence of this separator may allow moisture to penetrate the filter’s pleats, eventually allowing moisture to pass. The 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel engine’s fuel system is highly advanced, and its integrity can be compromised with any amount of water entering the fuel system.
Motorcraft Super Duty Fuel Filters:
- The chassis mounted fuel filter has a special outer rap to keep moister out of the fuel
- The chassis mounted fuel filter also has an integrated Air Bleed Orifice which uses the full potential of the filter pleats by allowing air to be purged from the top half of the filter, thus allowing for the entire filter to be utilized
The Competitor’s Fuel Filters:
- Have no outer rap to work as a water barrier creating potential for water in fuel and injector damage
- Have no bleed orifice which causes shorter filter life span and greater risk of fuel starvation and debris damage to injectors and other engine components.
For more information about Ford Power Stroke Super Duty Sales, Parts, and Service visit us at www.fullerisford.com