If you have questions about programming Ford PATS programmable keys, Ford Keyless remote key FOBs, or your Ford Keyless Entry Key Pad with new code (or retrieving the factory code), We have provided the attached instructions and videos.
Ford Keyless Entry Keypad Code Programming
1. Enter the permanent Ford factory keyless entry keypad code.
2. Press the 1/2 button within 5 seconds to activate the programming mode. Holding the 1/2 button for more than 2 second after activation erases all the stored customer codes. The existing codes do not need to be erased to program a new code.
3. Within 5 seconds, enter the new 5-digit keyless entry keypad code.
4. Press the 1/2, 3/4, or 5/6 to indicate which of the 3 personal entry code positions is to be programmed.
5. The door locks lock and unlock to confirm the new code is programmed.
6. To program an additional personal entry code, repeat Steps 2 through 4.
Ford Pats Key programming Using Two Programmed Keys
1. Insert the first Ford programmed key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position (maintain the key in the ON position for a minimum of 3 seconds and less than 10 seconds).
2. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the first key from the ignition lock cylinder.
3. Within 5 seconds of turning the key to the OFF position, insert the second programmed key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position (maintain the key in the ON position for a minimum of 3 seconds and less than 10 seconds).
4. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the key from the ignition lock cylinder.
5. Within 10 seconds of turning the key to the OFF position, insert the unprogrammed key (the new key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position (maintain the key in the ON position for a minimum of 3 seconds and less than 10 seconds).
6. If it is desired to program additional key(s) (only up to 8 keys total can be programmed into the IC), repeat Steps 1-5 for each additional key that needs to be programmed.
7. Start the vehicle with the new key(s).
Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Transmitter Programming
1. The vehicle must be electronically unlocked before entering program mode using the RKE transmitter, keyless entry keypad (if equipped) or door lock control switch while the driver door is open.
2. Turn the key from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the eighth turn ending in RUN. If the module successfully enters the program mode, it locks and then unlocks all doors.
3. Within 20 seconds, press any button on an RKE transmitter, and the doors lock and then unlock to confirm that the RKE transmitter is programmed. Repeat this step for each RKE transmitter.
4. If the door locks do not respond for any RKE transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again. If the door locks still fail to respond, refer to Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems in this section. Make sure that no more than the maximum number of 6 RKE transmitters are attempted to be programmed.
5. Exiting the programming mode is accomplished if one of the following occurs:
- The key transitions to the OFF position.
- Twenty seconds have passed since entering programming mode or since the last RKE transmitter was programmed.
- The maximum number of 6 RKE transmitters have been programmed.
Understanding the PATS Key System
Ford Motor Company began offering the PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) on their cars and trucks in the late 1990’s and is now standard on all non-commercial vehicles. Each key has a unique computer chip than “communicates” with the ignition system allowing the vehicle to be started.
1. A regular cut spare key will open the door but WILL NOT start the vehicle.
2. If a PATS key is lost you need two keys to program the third key. In other words ALWAYS have three sets of keys for these vehicles.
Q: “I’ve lost a key and only have one spare what do I do?”
A: Bring the vehicle into service and the code can be pulled and a new key can be cut.
Q: “I only had one key and I’ve lost it, now what?”
A: At this point the vehicle will need to be towed to the dealership to have the code pulled and new key cut.
Always have three sets of keys
Fuller Ford of Cincinnati’s Service Center can provide additional help or programming services. See our website……